Wednesday, February 6, 2013

How I began on Etsy


Modern Heirloom Christening Gown story- I was involved in Campaign for liberty and met a young lady who I told about my talent, crocheting christening gowns. She gave me the website for Etsy.com and now I have given it a shot.  I had been in the working world for thirty something years doing various things and letting my talents be my hobby.  Only my friends and close neighbors realized what I could do.  I never realized that I could actually make money for what I am good at.
During my life working for others, I learned much. I grew up in foster homes with many children in each home.  Each of us had duties and responsibilities so having a talent was considered a fun thing to do when you weren't fulfilling a duty or responsibility.  One of my first jobs was in a daycare for children where I got to enjoy my day by creating and planning crafts for toddlers.  That didn't pay enough to help with the rearing of my own children so I took a job working with a group of Ophthalmologist as a file clerk.  I
am very good at bringing order to an office by filing and sorting .  I got experience on the computers, fax machines, copiers, etc.  I also learned that when money is tight and shelf space isn't available you have to get creative.   We stored files in numbered boxes with dates and alphas on them. At night when I would come home I would practice crocheting with different weights of thread and creating Christening gowns that I always wished to have for my child.   I also filled my grief over the loss of a boyfriend with creating these gowns and entering them into the state fair. I have won prizes there for my work.  So whenever I learned about etsy.com I was very happy to be able to finally be able to find a market for my talent and craft.
I am presently registered with a temp agency. They send me on a job here and there from time to time.
I am trusting God and my abilities to bring my family through the econmic pinch that all of us Americans are feeling at this time.
I love to have the freedom to work for myself and sell to others from my home with out the overhead expense of a shop. I have learned through others that whenever you buy a craft, “talent”, you support a person and that is what I think that OUR maker intended. To God be the glory for any crafts that I sell.~Becky Van Loozen-McCarty

No comments:

Post a Comment